erica cheng

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Reading summary: How the Internet Killed the Phone Business

My research topic is about cellular data service, which is much related to 3G networks that mobile operators have been pushing in recent years.

From the reading "How the Internet Killed the Phone Business", I'm inspired that I can compare cellular data service with VOIP add-on services, so as to discuss the possible future developments of 3G service. Furthermore, I am highly interested at whether the cellular phone industry will collabarate with VOIP or challenge it. I think I am going to discuss the possible results under these two conditions.

In addition, I plan to emphasize more on the price change within the cellular industry once the mobile VOIP becomes available. In regardless of the calling minutes, I've noticed that compared with Taiwan's lowest cellular phone monthly subscription fee, the monthly subscription fee of United States' is much higher. In Taiwan, cell phone users can start with the lowest rate around 6.25 dollars, and control the calling time if they don't want to spend too much money on the mobile phone bill. Nonetheless, the lowest rate in United States, as far as I know, is around 39.99 dollars. The rate plan offers unlimited calling minutes during night and weekends, encouraging users to pay more as well as call more. I am curious to see how the mobile operators in United States will respond to the price pressure from mobile VOIP.

Also, I want to say that it's amazing that eBay bought Skype. I think it will broaden ecommerce platform and attract more online trade users. To take myself for example, I will be more willing to shop on eBay if I can "talk" with the seller rather than connect through email.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger davidcho said…

    Nice...do you think 3G and the VoIP could be combined as one? Cellphone service is still considered a luxury product and with the combination of 3G, VoIP, WiFi could drive prices down...

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger erica cheng said…

    I've thought about this~!!
    ...but I am not sure if the current technologies can achieve this...
    I'll do more research on this point,. This is reaaally an interesting topic~!!

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Meg said…

    Thanks for explaining what I didn't pick up on in the article Erica. I think you do have a great topic for research. I agree with you and David that if it works, 3G and VOIP should be combined.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger doer said…

    Hello, you blog is interesting to read. More and more people are making ebay money, part-time or full-time. I have a website which info you more about ebay marketing. Please visit and learn more.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Aaron said…

    I would like to share my experience. When I read your article, I was interesting to see you point. becaues I have already used this kind the technology for 2 year, I am feeling that this new revolution will affect traditional telephone marketplace. However, if traditional phone companies who want to think other way, that may has new opportunity. Actually, I thought this dream after messager, MSN and Yahoo messager, was found. in my opinion, there are more than thousand of internet service base on IT infrastructure as mobile station. So now I use PDA and skype software to call or receive call from my friend who are in Taiwan. I don't need to pay any fee because of Internet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home